Sunday, December 12, 2010

Welcome to the family!


Welcome baby Jax Robert Felty born December 9, 2010 at 12:14 pm.. He was a mere 10lbs and 22 inches long :) A few of the quote from the delivery room from my midwife and nurse- "your placenta was the size of someone carrying twins" "that is one of the biggest umbilical cords we have seen in a long time. What were you feeding him?" All pretty funny!! Sorry I have not posted pics, but I have been choosing to sleep over blogging :) Here is what happend over the past days at the hospital.


Everything went well Thursday morning for my induction. Labor and delivery was uneventful and pretty pain free. I love epidurals!! I only had to push for 10 minutes, and total time from being induced to having Jax was only 6 hours. Everything seemed to go by so fast. Then about 10 minutes from getting to leave the labor and delivery room I started to feel a little light headed and sick to my stomach. I didn't say anything to the nurse because I figured it was just from the fact that I had been up since 3:30, only had a protien bar to eat, having a 10lb baby and the drugs starting to wear off....who wouldn't be a little light headed?? The nurse at this time was taking my pulse for the last time and got a funny look on her face. She then hooked me up to a pulse rate monitor. Apparently my pulse had dropped to 36 (usually it is around 70). Long story short, they had 3 different doctors come in and check on me, an EKG was done and instead of going to the maternity floor I was admitted overnight onto the cardio unit. Let me tell you the cardio unit was not fun. As I was wheeled down the floor every room I looked into people were hacking up lungs and the average age was 80.


I was pretty upset to say the least.....at first they were unsure if I could even see Jax while on the cardio unit due to all of the sickness. Thankfully with a little help from my mom we were able to get Jax wheeled down to see me so I could feed him 3 times during the night. Friday was just sitting around and waiting to get released from the Cardio doctor, who was supposed to make his rounds at 8, but didn't end up showing to my room till almost 1! I was not a happy mom and had not seen Jax since 5:30 that morning. Jamie was super dad throughout this whole time, running back and forth to check on me, going to the maternity floor to hold and feed Jax and still making time to go to my parents to spend some time with Brody. Just thinking about it now makes me tear up, word can not express what a wonderful dad and husband he is.


After getting an Echocardiogram I was finally able to go to the maternity floor. Let me tell you, I felt like I was in heaven. The first thing I heard when I got there was "welcome to quiet time." Was I dreaming?? The room felt like a suite at the Hilton compared to the cardio floor and all of the nurses were so happy to see me and were so attentive and knew how to treat a mommy.


So as you can tell the past 4 days have gone from the highest high, to a pretty low. Thankfully I am fine and they didn't find anything wrong with my heart. Jax is doing great, eating lots and sleeping lots. Brody is a great big brother and has been a big help with Jax. Although he doesn't want to hold him, he loves giving him lots of hugs, kisses and wants to be around him all the time. Jamie is enjoying being able to be home with all of us for the next few weeks. Thanks to everyone for their wonderful wishes and prayers. I promise to post pics very soon!

1 comment:

janetf said...

Thanks for sharing the story Natalie. Hope you continue to get some rest. FYI it is 84 degrees at the Fort Rapids waterpark! Can't wait to see you guys!